Friday, February 25, 2011

Friday Something

So I think before I said I was going to try to post some sort of gadget or gizmo every Friday that looked of interest to me. I decided to cut out the gadget and gizmo part since there are enough blogs about that stuff out there and just go with whatever interests me. Whether its a game, gadget, book, movie, or whatever.

So today it is windy here, real windy. Like the power every once in awhile cuts off and you can hear ambulances screaming off in the distance occasionally (I live near the hospital). The power being unreliable makes doing stuff on computers and TVs rather difficult. So it has put me in a bit of a reading mood, and I wanted to recommend an amazing book. For whenever you have a windy, rainy day where reading seems like the best activity.

The book is How I Killed Pluto and Why It Had It Coming by Mike Brown. It is a great story, and really puts a human side to astronomers and the work they do. Mike Brown is an astronomer at the California Institute of Technology and his primary work is looking for objects in the outer solar system. These objects (including Makemake, Quaoar, Haumea, and Eris) that he and his team found challenged the notion of Pluto's qualification as a planet. Ultimately it becomes a tale of discovery, birth, and the death of a beloved planet, Pluto. A great read, and highly recommended if you want to know more about what went into Pluto's fate.


22 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll put in on my ever growing reading list.

llllollllll said...

I wish they had a Kindle version. Oh wait they do. Awesome.

ebm93 said...

It sounds interesting. Will check the book out eventually.

Charles said...

will check that out!

Chuck said...

Poor Pluto, it'll always be a planet to me :(

Christophe said...

I think I'll always consider Pluto a planet, because I just grew up with it that way, and I'm nostalgic. The story behind this would be interesting though.

Anonymous said...

More books? But I already have to read like five or so! D:

Jessica said...

Gah, that wind sounds so scary...But that book sounds neat. I always wondered why they decided against pluto being a planet.

Siphil said...

I'm a big astronomy fan, and I'm definitely going to check this out, thanks for sharing.

KUSHtunes said...

That books seems really interesting. I might have to check it out man.

Aaron M. Gipson said...

I have been pretty curious about exactly what demoted Pluto in the first place. Really appreciate you posting the Amazon link too, I'm going to check this out right now!

Matt said...

That sounds pretty awesome; the man got rid of a planet!! I'll have to check it out!

ScottD said...

pluto was always odd anyway. Too small and crazy orbit.

LiveTheBoss said...

It'll always be a planet to me!

obi said...

i wish i read more, thanks for your insight.

seamagpie said...

Sounds like something I would really be interested in. Also it sounds like it could have a very original plot.

Anonymous. said...

Pluto will always be a planet to me. Trendy new science rubbish.

Stef Pelgrims said...

sounds like a good book to read

Nina said...

Wow, that really interesting. I miss pluto.

Ashton Chase said...

Sounds like a good read, unfortunately with all the exams coming up I have no time to read anything other than my textbooks.

Jok3r said...

Very Nice friend following you ;)

Anonymouse said...

sounds like a good read.

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated, please no advertising or profanity. This also helps me see who is dropping by.