Monday, February 21, 2011

How Kepler Works, How Glass Works

I was going to talk about some recent estimates from the Kepler data, but find myself short on time. So I am dumping a few awesome videos. First we have a 2-part series on the method used by the Kepler Telescope to discover new exoplanets. They are fantastic in quality and made by Paul A. Wilson, A Widely Unknown Exoplanet Astronomer, and has a wonderful blog I recently discovered.

The last video is something else that is entirely different, but totally interesting none the less. But not so different, because it's principals are why things like the Kepler mission are possible. This video is on why glass is transparent. Honestly, it isn't something that I have thought to question any time recently and I was bit intrigued by it. I knew there was something that had to do with their electron arrangement, but this video makes it a whole lot clearer. Very educational.
Enjoy the videos, next time I hope to have that post on Kepler done. It will involve the Drake Equation, and what it means for the search for life. You may have also noticed, I added an Astronomy Picture of the Day gadget to the upper right, I hope you all enjoy those pictures as much as I do!


37 comments:

Every Day said...

interesting, thanks for sharing.

LifeHacks said...

Thanks for the videos on the Kepler belt!

Aaron M. Gipson said...

And to think that there are so many of our species that can think in concepts of this scale, and so many MORE who still think God just "poofed" everything here. Great post as always, my friend and I look forward to tomorrow's!

ruinz said...

Very interesting
How to Hack Life.

Astronomy Pirate said...

Kepler belt doesn't exist? That would be the Kuiper belt, which is where Pluto is. Kepler is the name for a telescope in space right now.

Charles said...

whoa cool!

Robert Fünf said...

I'e that glass video before. Still very interesting though.

http://robertfunf.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I like the new gadget. Can't say I've really wondered too much about glass either, lol.

synoptixs said...

now i know why glass is transparent!

obi said...

fascinating stuff thanks for sharing.

Generic said...

very cool:) nice share

ScottD said...

great post!

Sam said...

Very interesting, cool blog!

cooperlife said...

I absolutely love scientifically explanatory videos! Great stuff on the glass dude

BaxStar said...

wow, I am all sorts of geek for this stuff, keep it coming and I'll definitely be back. Followed :)

Jcache said...

Wow, I had no idea, thats pretty awesome.

Marcus Silva said...

Wow, that's really interesting stuff. I actually learned something :)

The Governor said...

did you know glass is actually a liquid, it just flows very slowly.

Josh said...

Fascinating stuff

Christophe said...

The most interesting thing I ever learned about glass is that it flows. Over time the mass shifts so that old windows will be uneven. Thicker at the bottom than the top.

thatguy said...

Science is now a verb!
haha.
This post reminded me of Questionable Content, the webcomic. Specifically, the line in QC, "Science is now a verb"

TWIG128 said...

I love science

Astronomy Pirate said...

@The Governor and Quotey: No, class is not a liquid, and there is no evidence that they flow. The use of old window panes is statistically incorrect and mostly due because of the manufacturing process of the time, which often made constant thickness difficult. http://dwb4.unl.edu/Chem/CHEM869A/CHEM869ALinks/www.ualberta.ca/~bderksen/florin.html

Life Hacks said...

Very very very interesting about the glass. To think that so many people are learning incorrect things via Google searches...

Esse said...

That's VERY interesting, to say the least...

PekkaK said...

This is very interesting stuff. Thanks mate.

Anonymous. said...

Woah, tres interessant!

Anonymous. said...

Ya learn something new every day!

Dr. Grim said...

thanks for sharing man, though i already know how the kepler telescope finds exoplanets, the glass vid is quite interesting.
waiting for your next post =]

Me said...

I learnt about this 'energy gap'/ level.

but i didn't know it was the cause of transparent glass.

tracirz said...

I love your blog. These are great videos!!! =D Thanks for posting.

mtn said...

i remember keppler from school... well at least the name

Polybius said...

I LOVE those kinds of videos!

Havuelete said...

very interesting, both Kepler and glass, thanks for sharing. Science rules!

parasites said...

Thanks for the videos. Space is one of my favorite topics.

Tenko said...

I love astronomy videos! I'm going to follow :)

Bobomiller said...

sweet, keep up the good work

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated, please no advertising or profanity. This also helps me see who is dropping by.